Did you know that September is National Spinal Cord Injury (SCI) Awareness Month? Will2Walk invites you to learn more about how a traumatic injury can impact a person’s physical, mental and emotional well being and support those with SCI’s and their families.
Ways to support us this month:
- Donate here or contribute to our Facebook fundraiser
- Attend or sponsor our Cornhole Tournament & SCI Awareness Event on Sept. 20 in Phoenix. All ages & abilities welcome!
- Like our Facebook page
- Share this post with your social networks (use buttons below)
A few quick stats:
- Every 48 minutes, someone in the U.S. is paralyzed from a spinal cord injury
- Average yearly expense, first year of injury (C1-C4) = $1 million
- 52% of those injured do not have health insurance coverage
For more information and statistics, visit our SCI Facts page. Hear the real-life stories behind those statistics by learning more about our past Scholarship Program recipients, who strive for healthy, active and independent lives.
In 2011, September was designated National Spinal Cord Injury Awareness Month by the U.S. Senate, who:
- supports research to find better treatments, therapies, and a cure for paralysis
- supports clinical trials for new therapies that offer promise and hope to those persons living with paralysis
- commends the dedication of local regional, and national organizations, researchers, doctors, volunteers, and people across the United States that are working to improve the quality of life of people living with paralysis and their families